10 August 2013

MY TIME

one year ago when i got my current job...which is a continuing position....which i haven't had for gee at least 5 years....Kim says to me "it's time to focus on your career". this was in response to me supporting her for the previous 6 years in her very demanding job and now she was in a less demanding job so it was MY TIME....supposedly she was happy to take the 'back seat' and play the supportive wife to my ambitions. so imagine my SURPRISE when she announces to me today that she is thinking of putting in an application for a job in New Zealand!...what happened to it being MY TIME? apparently she's been asked by a recruitment agent to 'put her hat in the ring' for this role....which is similar to what she is currently doing but it's a national level job. other than the fact that over the past year since Kim's dad died we have been talking about living closer to our parents so we can enjoy quality time with them in their elder years but what about it being MY TIME to focus on MY CAREER?? and you know i'm all for a shake up in our lives....i've made it quite clear that i'm itching to run away....throw caution to the wind and take 3 months off work and road-trip across the USA....that is a little different to quitting my job altogether and moving across the ditch! of course all this gets thrown back at me..."i thought you were looking for a change?"..."NZ is only 3 hours away, it's not that far to come back and visit our aging parents....and they would want us to be living our lives"..."there are universities in NZ"....yudda yudda yudda...but all i can hear in my head is "I THOUGHT IT WAS MY TIME TO FOCUS ON MY CAREER!!" in the end i just said "well i've never been to New Zealand so i can't say whether or not i like it" and as every supportive partner says "if it's really something you're interested in, i guess you have to at least put an application in". no use worrying about something that hasn't happened yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment